Monday, June 15, 2009

Paragliding -- Andreas

Where: Cashmere/Levenworth/Chelan/Wenachee, WA
When: June 12-14th 2009
With: Andreas
Goal: Learn how to Paraglide!

This was my first full free weekend from BoeAlps when paragliding classes were open so Andreas and I decided to head to Cashmere.

We left Thurs in hope that we’d get a full weekend of paragliding in. This is after we went to see an inspiring Adventure Film Fest at the Mountaineers club and grabbed some Thai dinner with ClimbingAllen in the U-district.

We got to “The Ranch” in Cashmere well after midnight and slept in the car to avoid disturbing the other patrons in the bunkhouse. A crash pad in the back of a Subaru is surprisingly comfortable.

In the morning I met Doug and Denise (the paragliding teachers), got an overview of how dangerous the sport was (it didn’t seem too bad, especially compared to the things we saw in the Adventure Film Fest the night before). I filled out some paperwork such as my emergency contacts and watched a quick video on how to get the glider in the air.

After this was done we realized that the weather was not looking awesome. We attempted to go to one of the nearby hills but by the time we got there and I got instructors on how to make sure my gear was safe there were dirt devils forming. Read: Bit too windy for newbie Alison. So we called the day done (before 10am).

Andreas and I went to Leavenworth instead and bought a book on the local bouldering rocks. After a picnic by the river we were at the local crag. This is where I realized that I really did need to get new rock climbing shoes—I’ve known this for awhile, but getting into 5 sports at once has really been wearing me (and my credit card) down. But I made the decision that I needed to buy new shoes the moment I got back to Seattle.

Bouldering is sooo much harder outside! I love sport climbing outside (soon to love trad climbing!), but bouldering is just scary and really hard. There were some easy routes I still didn’t finish due to a total distrust of my shoes (even tho you’re only ~15 feet in the air, it feels waay higher when you’re not roped in! The crash pad doesn’t look all that comfortable to fall on!).

The day somehow passed by really fast and we ended up back at the ranch for dinner, canasta, and some chocolate dipped apples for dessert. (Andreas won at canasta—getting 3 red three’s dealt to him [he dealt] in the last hand sealed the deal).

Saturday we got up early again and met Doug at 8am. The weather seemed nice so we went out immediately (knowing that worse weather was coming). Doug and I did two runs on this mini-hill, where I’d get maybe 10-12 feet in the air and was able to practice braking and landing (a mere two runs worth).



This picture (not mine) shows the two takeoff spots. The low part is where I had two mini-flights off and the higher spot is where all of us (experienced or not!) took off from


Then the other experienced kids showed up. Including Andreas there were 4 people (not including instructors) with 3+ years of experience, and we were all headed to the same hill. I watched them all take off with the ‘reverse’ method (you start backwards and have to turn to run off the hill) and was instructed to do the same (my first reverse takeoff!). I botched it a few times, either putting on too much break, or not turning fast enough, but before I could get too embarrassed, I got it right and floated down the hill.


This picture (not mine) shows a person who is doing the exact same flight that I did


I was probably 40 feet in the air (same as all the other people) and had Doug and Denise on the radio telling me if I should be breaking with the right or left hand and reminding me to breath (I was!) and to keep looking straight ahead.

The scariest part was when I finally got turned around and flying I realized that everybody had moved from the landing zone (LZ) to the other side of the road (apparently they were scared of my crash landing that could take them all out). It was more than daunting having all these experienced pilots watching me land. Nonethless I tried super hard to concentrate on the task at hand and Denise in my ear. I landed perfectly (ok, it’s possible it could have been slightly smoother, but I didn’t see a problem with it, I landed on my feet, it was soft, the wing came down nicely behind me).


This picture (not mine) shows a typical paragliding setup


As soon as I landed I was told to gather my gear for we were headed up for round two! As we were launching take II the bad weather continued to close in on us. Every person who went off had varying flights. I was almost the last person to go and I (and the last guy) probably got the worst of it.

This launch was similar in some respects to the first one, about 40 feet in the air, and between a quarter mile and half mile down. The ride however was quite different. I kinda felt like I was on a rollercoaster! Which would be more exciting if that’s actually how it was supposed to feel. I think it was a combination of the bumpy weather and my lack of knowing the proper times to brake that led me to have a bouncing motion down the hill.

My landing this time was a bit harder and as I hit the ground I feel to my knees, and my wing went over my head. I was rather embarrassed until everybody else assured me their landings sucked too… just not as bad as mine.

We had to call it a day (about 11am) and then Andreas and I met up with his family, had a quick lunch at the bakery and then went climbing with his bro, sister-in-law and aunt. I let his Aunt use my harness since I was going to be climbing during the week and all next weekend (and the fact that I didn’t trust my shoes on slab).


Andreas’ Aunt Chris climbing the mountain



There’s a prize at the top!



She won!


After, we went to Andreas’ parents house on the lake where some family friends came over and we had a bbq (complete with a salad from Andreas’ Dad’s garden). My only photos from this weekend are pretty much of this event.


Some of us went swimming in the lake before dinner


Day 3 was terrible for flying again so Andreas and I went to Chelan. At the top of Chelan Butte (where Andreas decided he wasn’t going to fly from) we watched a bunch of hang gliders take off. That looked like fun too, but definitely way more work. I don’t think I’ll be taking that sport on soon (even though I am excited about the idea that you’re actually in a “flying position” versus sailing through the air in a seat harness). Soon enough it was time to head home to Seattle.

Unfortunately I’m not sure when I’ll be able to paraglide next. My next two weekends are filled with rock climbing and the weekend after that is the 4th of July when Andreas and I are going to attempt to bag 6 8,000ft peaks in 4 days in the Pasayten Wilderness. Then it’s another climbing weekend! Perhaps the weekend after can be paragliding...I’ve never had the summer booked so far ahead of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment