Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bakery Bike -- Andreas

Where: West Seattle to Magnolia and back
When: Saturday May 16th, 2009
With: Andreas
Goal: Bike to Magnolia and celebrate with cinnamon buns



We rode A to B to C to B, almost 32 miles


Since I haven’t biked in awhile I decided the gorgeous-weather-predicted-Saturday would be a prime time to get out and ride.

I like goals. I decided the biking goal would be a bakery that my co-worker Phil sometimes brings in decadent treats from. I didn’t really look at the miles, but I’m in Seattle, it’s in Seattle, so it seemed like a reasonable ride.

When I first mentioned the outing to Andreas he seemed to think it was a lame ride in that it would surely be under 50 miles, and who knows if there would even be many hills in between. I told him that I am a newbie biker, so I needed an easy first ride and he conceded to the plan.

As you can see in the picture above, a round-about way was taken. We started at my house, stopped at Andreas’ (though in retrospect I’m not sure why), and then took the scenic Alki Beach tour, and peddled up the “coast” to Magnolia (subsidiary of Seattle) where the bakery was located.

By mile 15 (it was 18 miles to the bakery) our back-ends were in constant reminder that we had not been bike riding in quite awhile.

Less than a quarter of a mile left to the bakery and we were met with some pretty intense uphill. It was nice knowing that we’d be making the cinnamon bun worth it! Andreas sped ahead and killed the uphill while I took a water break at a crossroad—but made it without having to walk my bike and feeling totally inadequate.

The bakery was out of cinnamon buns (we’ll have to get up and biking a decent hour next time), but we enjoyed some quiche (lunch) and a sticky bun (dessert) instead.

The ride back was pleasant, other than a constant dodging of people, and we were home (at Andreas’) in what seemed like no time. After speeding back home (in the car, to my house) and in less than 30 minutes I packed all the gear necessary for my Crevasse Rescue outing and was out the door to meet the team, to once again stay at Whittaker’s Bunkhouse to avoid a 3am wake-up call.

All in all, I didn’t expect the ride to the bakery to be 31.9 miles, but it was a really fun ride nonetheless. Hopefully this will inspire me to ride my bike more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment