Saturday, September 26, 2009

Mailbox Peak

Who: Me, myself and I
What: Mailbox Peak!
Where: Slightly north of Mt Si
When: Sat, Sept 26th, 2009

I was feeling bad about not getting out much lately. I guess I've been busy (paragliding weekend recently, some climbing) but I haven't been hiking in awhile. I wanted to try a new hike and happened upon Mailbox Peak.

The story isn't that exciting but the people I met were interesting. Here's a picture story.



This hike is steep as crap. Wow, why don't more people do this one as a training hike? It's like an exit past Mount Si and sooo much less croweded (oh wait, I mean, it's really crowded, you probably shouldn't bother going).

The hike is also way more "natural" feeling (some might say 'unkept' but these people don't count). Apparently they're planning on fixing it for there were 'caution' signs on a few tree's.



There were also many mushrooms along the way!



I was shooting pictures of this spider web when some hikers came down the trail. I showed them what I was shooting (it was above the trail, but high enough that nobody disturbed it). The hikers responded that they were surprised it hadn't eaten anybody yet.



I got "lost" a few times on some switchbacks. I would happily be going along when I'd realize the trail (surprisingly well marked--I've never seen so many markers on a WA trail) was a little to my left or right. Fortunately, going up the trail I didn't notice any traffic sounds (sadly, at the top, you could).



I think the real reason I got "lost" was because I'd be like "oh wow, a root ladder!" hike up it, to find the real trail to the side. Opps.



Walking up the trail I was in a cloud the entire way. It was great for a cool morning on a steep hike. It was so beautiful I had to restrain myself in taking photos (I wanted to take one every few steps).



All of a sudden I was out of the trees and above the clouds!


After another super steep half mile (of alpine meadows!) I reached the summit and two mailboxes greeted me!



Inside I found a trail log (there were a TON) and randomly opened it to a page from a week before where my old roommate Chris from VT had signed the log! How exciting.

I also met an older (ish, like in their 40's) couple who were all in love. It was cute. The man, in an attempt to utterly embarass the woman called everybody on the summit ("hey Blondy, come over here") to check out what he wrote in the trail book, against the screaming wishes of the woman. It read "no sex for me tonight, she's spent." For the record, she totally beat him up the mountain and was waiting on the summit for his arrival.

All in all, this is definitely my favorite hike UP. Down was hard on the knees, even with poles (without poles it would have taken me twice as long). But, totally worth it, and my new recommended hike for you!

1 comment:

  1. I must say to "udderly embarass" someone is a VT-ism gleaned from growing up in a county where there are more cows than people.

    ReplyDelete